Radical Adventure Riders’ Chapters create a joyful and supportive bike community for femmes, trans, women, and non-binary folks while centering those who are Black, Indigenous, and people of color.
With the support of RAR, Chapters organize and host events, rides, and workshops at the local levels to support and build a more inclusive cycling and outdoor community.
This year, RAR is expanding the Chapter Program for up to 20 chapters to continue spreading bike-joy across the US! Apply to become a RAR Chapter by Monday, May 1st!
While not required, this will help us gauge interest, connect folks in the same city, and help stay in contact with you throughout this application cycle! Fill out an interest form by Friday, April 7th!
If you are wondering if your city/town is ripe for a successful RAR Chapter, consider the following:
You or someone you know is interested in becoming a Chapter Lead Superstar.
Has connections with other interested people to carry out the Chapter’s work as a Core Group of volunteers.
Have a deep connection, understanding, and politic about needing spaces only for FTWN-B folks (centering Black, Indigenous, and people of color).
The city has ally organizations as potential supporters that align with RAR’s mission (bike co-op, advocacy group, etc.).
You are interested and can manage the Chapter for at least a year.
You and your potential core group have authentic and genuine BIPOC representation, or the Chapter commits to pouring into a BIPOC biking crew, which you outline in your Chapter plan.
*Gifs by Alabaster Pizzo
- Increasing the number of FTWN-B folks (centering those who are Black, Indigenous, and people of color) that safely use biking as a positive tool for anything.
- Supporting FTWN-B that are new cyclists into their bike world of choice, whether they use their bike for commuting, fitness, getting out with friends and family, etc.
- Centering and uplifting a diverse and accountable space for FTWN-B folks.
- Staying local and creating a sustainable model for community cycling.
- Ensuring leadership is properly trained to ensure the safety of the ridership.
- Ensuring bike safety and knowledge are made available to the ridership.
- Connecting and educating interested folks in their communities with the language of bikes.
- Create an annual Chapter plan that outlines what you will offer to members and the city.
- Host regular covid safe events, bike overnights, and rides (outlined in the annual plan) to increase the chapter’s representation and support of FTWN-B and BIPOC folks. *We expect the Chapter to host an average of one monthly event.
- Host a minimum of 1 FTWN-B bike overnight a year.
- Commitment to quarterly check-ins and an annual review of the Chapter’s work with RAR leadership.
- Manage an active and positive IG account for your Chapter that RAR can reshare. *We expect you to post highlights/photos/upcoming events at least 2-3 times monthly.
- Attend 3 office hours and provide regular updates about your Chapter’s work and events with leadership.
- Provide an end-of-year snapshot that outlines the Chapter’s success, challenges, learnings, hopes, and next steps.
- Host 1 show & tell with other chapters highlighting successes/learnings from your work.
RAR will support Chapters with the following:
Upon application, mini-grants of $200-$500 to support Chapter projects. *Your Chapter is responsible for fundraising for additional services for your group members.
Chapter Slack Access
Access to our Chapter Slack where we share learnings, wins, and ideas across the entire RAR Chapters network. See our current 10 Chapters here!
Gear Library Planning
RAR will share connections with local bag and gear companies. RAR will also support planning and finding sponsors for your gear library.
An online toolkit with event planning and ride best practices, social media management tips, and more.
Chapter meet and greet, leadership development, and organizational culture development from RAR and consultants.
RAR will share sponsors with Chapters to support their work and to help bridge the gap between the industry and Chapters.
Chapters will get a landing page on the RAR website, a Chapter logo, and branding assets.
Bi-Monthly Office Hours
Our Chapter Managers will host regular check-in calls to help share best practices and resources.
*Gifs by Santiago Luna
🎉 Apply to be a RAR Chapter 🎉
We are excited to expand our programming and support RAR Chapters throughout the U.S.! Become a RAR Chapter by completing the application! Chapters will be selected and announced before June.
People like YOU in our community supported the RAR Chapters Program!
Thank you to our generous supporters for making RAR Chapters possible! We are raising $40k for RAR Chapters and still need to reach our goal. Please keep sharing and donating!